The London data center market is one of the most active colocation ecosystems in the world with a strong networking, internet, and cloud infrastructure presence. London is a strategic hub for data center services for both UK organizations as well as multinational companies who have established offices there and, from both a physical and digital perspective, require reliable services to reach local clients even faster. As the third-largest data center provider in the world, the Global Data Centers division of NTT, continues to build the foundation to successfully serve this vibrant data center market today and in the future. NTT is constructing one of the largest data centers in Europe in Dagenham, East London. Dagenham is located about 20 km east of London city center and 15 km away from the Docklands, which is established as the UK’s internet hub and serves as a backbone for the majority of the London Internet Exchange’s (LINX) infrastructure. Dagenham is also situated close to Shoreditch, which has recently become known as ‘East London Tech City’ or ‘the Silicon Roundabout,’ as many technology companies and start-ups have started to reside in the area.
The new campus "London 1 Data Center” is capable of up to 25,600 sqm of IT space and 64 MW IT load once fully developed. Phase one, with an initial 8 MW IT load, opened in December 2020, with three further phases planned to follow.
London 1 joins the five existing NTT-owned data centers. These data centers are located in the areas of Hemel Hempstead and Slough, respectively, both in the North-West region of London. With the addition of the Dagenham campus, we will be interconnected with these existing data centers, creating an impressive networked London operating platform and able to support over 100 MW of IT load. All our data center facilities serve traditional wholesale and retail colocation and hybrid IT solutions, supporting client market segments such as enterprise, hyperscale, SaaS, Telco, CDN and cloud.
At a glance: London 1 Data Center
- Power supply on 132 kV level from two grid connections
- Own substation with two 132/11 kV transformers 2N
- Two separate UPS systems (A- and B- supply) with N+1 redundancy
- Redundantly designed emergency power system with diesel generators N+1
- Monitoring by our own 24/7 Security Command and Control Center
- Standardized security processes and the 7-level security system secure the tenant areas and technical operations
- Access control via non-contact chip and PIN or optional biometrics signature
- Secured perimeter zones with electronically monitored security fencing system, incorporating anti-climb and anti-tunnelling protection
- Monitoring of all critical infrastructure by own operation staff on-site
- Standardized operation processes with amplified technical systems redundancy in order to ensure maximum reliability
- Carrier-mix from global tier 1 supplier to local supplier
- Redundant Carrier-Meet-Me-Rooms (CMMR)
- Redundant cabling infrastructure with diverse paths
- Pre-Cabling to support fast Cross Connect deployments
- DC Interconnect between NTT data centers for geo-redundant solutions
- Multi Service Interconnection Platform to connect our clients to major cloud service providers such as Amazon Web Services (AWS), Microsoft Azure and Google Cloud Platform