Backed by Toshiba’s High-Capacity enterprise 10TB disks, Starline‘s integrated Scale-Out iSCSI SAN solution takes advantage of the modern technologies that power many cloud deployments. Starline engineers have fine-tuned the server hardware to work perfectly with PetaSAN, a robust, Open Source, solution based on Ceph. The result is an agile iSCSI SAN solution with great data resilience and self-healing. PetaSAN is infinitely scalable and allows adding storage nodes without interruption.
Combined with Toshiba’s robust SAS HDDs, ARECA’s proven 12G HBAs and Cavium’s fast RDMA 10Gbe Ethernet adapters, PetaSAN provides 220TB of highly available clustered iSCSI disks. These multi-path iSCSI disks provide fast I/O as well as link redundancy and can be identified by virtual IP addresses.
In the event of a node failure, these virtual IPs can be dynamically moved to another cluster node in a client-transparent manner. That is one of the elegant features of PetaSAN. The underlying Ceph software maps the iSCSI drives to multiple physical drives in the cluster providing high data resilience. Rounding out the solution is a concise GUI that offers all the necessary features for flexible configuration and ease of management. Starline has moreover integrated an S3 gateway via the command line that is to be integrated into the GUI in the future. iSCSI Ceph has never been easier to deploy and manage.
Customer values/problems solved:
- Rapid deployment and scaling of highly available clustered iSCSI storage
- Ideal for deployments that require high parallel I/O operations, such as: Big Data analytics, VMware vSphere deployments, MS Hyper-V implementations, scalable shared file systems such as MS Scale-Out File Server, database servers with multiple parallel transactions per second
- Ceph scalable storage using Replica or Erasure Coding
- Clustered iSCSI, CIFS/SMB and S3 protocols
- Support for VMware, Citrix and Hyper-V
- Cloud backend storage
- Multi-site replication capability for resilience and disaster avoidance